Tuesday 14 January 2014

Book learnin'


It's winter, I'm not a fan of winter. I actively dislike it.
That's not entirely true, I like the first sniff of coldness in the run up to Christmas with frost in the air, when it's chilly but dry. Then the holidays come and go the decorations are taken down. The cold light dawns on new years day and and then it's back to work and many of us feel that post festivities slump. Winter drags on, and on and the proper cold weather hasn't even hit yet.
Late January and February are when the worst weather normally arrives and if we're going to get snow it tends to be around then.
Now's the time to retreat indoors with a roaring fire in the grate and get to reading, I've been collecting books for a few months and am looking forward to gettin' to readin'


An eclectic selection, eh? Food, Whiskey and gardening, my great obsessions.

A bit of plant hunting, old school with Frank Kingdon-Ward and more modern day with Roy Lancaster.

I've already read Plant Breeding last spring, but I want to have another go, I enjoyed it so much.
As yet I'm reserving judgement on 'What A Plant Knows', it's not my sort of book usually, but it's good to try new things...

I've more plans for the front garden, I carried out a bit of an overhaul last spring but wasn't happy with the result, it was much too softly and herbaceously floral. More spikes and architectural plants are the way forward methinks, hopefully it will actually come together this time.

Dan Pearson writes well, I enjoy reading his words and he makes me think more holistically about what I'm doing and how I need to plant and plan for my conditions. 

The most difficult decision facing me now is deciding which book I'm going to make a start with....



No comments:

Post a Comment