Sunday 9 February 2014

Winter colour

My favourite plant in the garden this week is the sedge Carex oshimensis 'Everillo'. I say this week but it's really a year round plant.

I grow this in a raised area underneath a Sycamore (in the UK a Sycamore is Acer Pseudoplatanus and not a Platanus) so it's got a tough set of conditions to deal with. Dryness at the roots does not appear to cause it any trouble and it gets no direct sunshine so it's an ideal contender for that difficult dry shady spot, where it adds a splash of brightness. I think it's best grown on a height so the long ever(lemon and lime)green leaves can cascade gracefully otherwise they will flap and trail on the ground. It'd also be a great contender for a tall pot, looking as good in winter as it does in summer,that's something I must do myself, get another and put it in a pot at the back of my house where it's shady.
I spend a few minutes a couple of times a year pulling out withered leaves but other than that it's remarkably trouble free. Luckily my garden doesn't suffer their depredations but it's also apparently resistant to deer munching which would come in handy for those of you who are regularly visited by Bambi's hungry cousins. Hardy too, it'll grow anywhere in the UK and down to zone 5a in the USA.
Looks can deceive as although it looks like a grass but is actually a sedge, and appeared as a sport from Carex o. 'Evergold' in an Irish nursery.

It'd look perfect among large foliaged plants such as Hostas but of course they're not so good with dry shade, so I'm trying to find other plants that will compliment it and also grow in the harsh conditions. Astelia nervosa 'Westland' grows nearby and does well but the hunt continues for other good bedfellows.

No comments:

Post a Comment