Friday 2 October 2015

From above

While it's lovely to be down there,  among the plants in the midst of their multiple shades of lush leafage, I also enjoy the fact that living in a two storey property I can also check things out from above. Looking at the structure of the plants from a very different angle gives an entirely different perspective of the garden and it's layout.
It also gives me the opportunity to look with fresh eyes at the overall picture I'm trying to create. When in the garden proper my attention tends to be grabbed by the individual plants, you know, distracted by what's currently looking good, what's blooming,  what has been munched by a slug or whose leaves have been notched by adult vine weevils. From this distance such imperfections and problems melt away. I can see clearly what's working well and what needs to change. 
The leafy crown of the Dicksonia antartica  spreading its lush arching cartwheel of frondy spokes looks incredibly telling when viewed from such an alternative angle. It will be fighting for space next year as the green parasols of Tetrapanax papyrifera 'Rex' reach ever increasing dimensions.  
I'm thinking the Aralia elata growing behind may get the chop, it's removal will allow for better growth from the Borinda papyrifera behind, which is currently in a little too much shade. The Aralia is a bit of a suckering beast so I won't miss having to pull up its spikey offspring which seem to be popping up with increased regularity.  Of course if I do decide to remove it I will be plagued with them for the next few years anyway while it protests and tries to fight back. But it's a plant that needs to have manners put upon it.



No comments:

Post a Comment